Thank you for your interest in the XQuery Summer Institute (June 9-20)! The XQuery Summer Institute is open to archivists, librarians, faculty members, advanced graduate students, and #alt-ac professionals in the humanities.
Who Should Apply?
The selection of candidates will take place according to the following criteria:
- The selection of candidates will privilege those who have some prior experience with XML-based markup languages. For practical purposes, this will likely mean experience with DocBook, EAC, EAD, METS, or TEI, though any XML-based markup language will suffice.
- The selection of candidates will seek a balanced distribution of scholars from different areas of the digital humanities, including archivists, librarians, and faculty members. We especially encourage advanced graduate students and #alt-ac professionals to apply.
- We also encourage applications of two or more candidates from the same institution. In our experience, learning to program works best as a social activity. We will practice pair programming during the Institute and hope that participants will continue that practice after returing to their home institutions.
What Are the Costs?
The Institute will be free of charge for accepted applicants. All participants will also receive a subvention toward the cost of their travel, lodging, and meals during the Institute thanks to a generous grant from the NEH. The Institute will be limited to twelve participants.
How to Apply
Applicants should write a 500-600 word statement articulating their research interests, level of experience with markup languages (including references to relevant XML datasets, if applicable) and what they hope to gain from the Institute. Please send the statement along with a C.V. as a single PDF to email@example.com.
- Clifford Anderson, Director for Scholarly Communications, Vanderbilt University Library
- David Michelson, Assistant Professor of Early Christianity, Vanderbilt University
- Dale Poulter, Coordinator, Search and Core Services, Vanderbilt University Library
Applications are due by February 14, 2014. Applicants will be notified in early March 2014 about admission decisions.